Mercedes-Benz Gaggenau Plant (with Rastatt Plant Location)
Overview
Address
Daimler AG
Mercedes-Benz Gaggenau Plant
Hauptstraße 107
76568 Gaggenau
Germany
Mercedes-Benz Gaggenau Plant - Rastatt Plant Location
Wilhelm-Busch-Straße 45
76437 Rastatt
Germany
Phone
Phone: +49 722 561-0
Production
The Gaggenau plant was founded in 1894 and is thus the oldest automotive plant in the world. As a commercial vehicle plant, it is today part of the Daimler Trucks division's operations.
Manual and automated manual transmissions, axles, torque converters and pressed parts are manufactured for the Mercedes-Benz A- and B-Class, amongst others. The product portfolio of the transmissions product unit ranges from manual transmissions for passenger cars to heavy-duty commercial vehicle power trains.
In the converters and metal forming units, as well as in the international logistics consolidation center, products, components and services for automotive companies and suppliers worldwide are created.
Facts & Figures
Plant area
Gaggenau plant: ~ 460,000 sqm
Rastatt plant location: ~ 230,000 sqm
Number of employees (as of December 2012)
6,280
Plant founded
1894
Take-over of Carl Benz
1911
History
1700
Installation of a forge hammer in Gaggenau
1894
Foundation of Bergmanns Industriewerke GmbH Gaggenau
1895
5 hp automobile "Orient Express"
1905
Foundation of Süddeutsche Automobilfabrik GmbH Gaggenau, cars and trucks
1907
Takeover by Benz, Mannheim
1911
January 1: At the beginning of the year, the “Süddeutsche Automobilfabrik Gaggenau GmbH” (South German Car Manufacturer Gaggenau, GmbH) is merged into “Benzwerke Gaggenau GmbH” (the Benz Gaggenau Plant GmbH). With the completion of this acquisition, Benz now has a complete commercial vehicle model range in their sales program.
January 24: Entry in the register of companies
February 12: At the Stuttgart Stock Exchange, the shares of DMG are introduced. On July 22, the initial public offering takes place in Berlin, and finally on September 4, in Frankfurt/Main.
1923
First installation of a diesel engine in a truck
1926
Merger Daimler-Benz AG
1944
Destruction of the plant by two air strikes
1948
Reconstruction of the truck and aggregate manufacturing
1951
Production: heavy duty trucks and Unimog
1964
Relocation of the truck construction from Gaggenau & Mannheim to Wörth
1967
Centralization of commercial vehicle transmission manufacturing in Gaggenau
1971
Construction at Rastatt plant site begins
1972
Production start of planetary axles
1978
Assumption of the passenger car transducer manufacturing of Untertürkheim
1987
Manufacturing of range transmissions begins
1998
Assumption of the manufacturing of portal axle
2001
Anniversary: 50 years Mercedes-Benz Unimog, manufacturing of 5 Mill. transmissions
2001
Reorientation as a center of competence for manual and automated manual transmissions
2002
Relocation of the Unimog production to the plant Wörth;
Establishing the Consolidation Center to Brazil; Start of production of medium duty transmissions in Brazil
2003
Anniversary: production of 10 Mill. Torque converters in 25 years
2004
Start up of the FSG production in Rastatt
2005
Completion forming the product center Special Transmissions
2007
Renaming in „Mercedes-Benz Gaggenau - a plant of the Daimler AG “
2008
Expiration of the 1 millionth new transmission (NSG)
Relocation of the Test Center to Wörth
2009
90 years education in Gaggenau
Start of construction of the new stamping facility at Kuppenheim
Start up of the transmission 12 AMT for the new Fuso Super Great 09TC
2011
Anniversary: 100 years Mercedes-Benz plant Gaggenau
Production start-up of the new front transmission FSG 310
2012
Production anniversary: 4 million heavy transmissions
Tools & Services
© 2014 Daimler AG. All Rights reserved.  |  Provider  |  Legal Notices and Terms  |  Cookies  |   Privacy Statement

Usage of cookies

In order to optimize the website and for continuously improvement Daimler uses cookies. You agree to the usage of cookies when you continue using this site.