Dr.-Ing. e. h. Karl Maybach
06.07.1879 - 06.02.1960
After undergoing intensive technical training and spending some time abroad on several occasions, from 1909 Karl Maybach worked as technical director of Luftfahrzeug-Motorenbau GmbH in Bissingen, which his father, Wilhelm Maybach, had founded together with Count Zeppelin as a subsidiary of Luftschiffbau Zeppelin, the airship factory in Friedrichshafen.
When the firm – now called Motorenbau GmbH – moved to Friedrichshafen, Karl Maybach, too, moved to Lake Constance. In addition to the manufacture of airship engines, the development of high-altitude aero-engines and development work on high-speed diesel engines as well as car and commercial vehicles began. In 1946, Maybach concluded a “convention” with the French government to develop and produce a 735-kW (1000-hp) petrol engine with auxiliary engine and a diesel engine. Work was taken up in Vernon, France. From September 1947 to mid- 1951, Maybach lived in Vernon with his family. At the end of 1952, at his own request, Karl Maybach withdrew from Maybach-Motorenbau GmbH as managing director, for reasons of age, and retired to Garmisch. Maybach was awarded the Grand Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.