Deutz (where Daimler worked for Nikolaus Otto)
Having worked for Maschinenbau-Gesellschaft Karlsruhe as shop foreman, in 1872 Gottlieb Daimler went to Nikolaus August Otto and Eugen Langen and their Gasmotorenfabrik Deutz as technical director.
1870 illustration of Gasmotorenfabrik Deutz
He had finally achieved his goal of taking up a leadership position in industry. He was assigned overall control of the workshops and the drawing office as well as material and personnel management.
Gottlieb Daimler built up a progressive production facility for stationary engines there and also proved a master at costing.
In 1876 Nikolaus August Otto developed the revolutionary four-stroke engine. This new engine was the lifeline for the Deutz company, which previously had faced a sales crisis. Business was looking up, but the tensions that existed between Daimler and Otto even before that became increasingly greater. To separate the two without losing either of them, the Supervisory Board suggested to Gottlieb Daimler that he establish a branch abroad.
In 1881 he went to Russia to examine the market opportunities which offered themselves there. After his return, however, the hoped-for easing of tensions failed to materialise. Nikolaus August Otto confronted the company with the alternative to retain either him or Daimler. In December 1881 Gottlieb Daimler was given notice effective June of the following year. Gottlieb Daimler left Deutz and set himself up in business in Cannstatt near Stuttgart.