Stuttgart/Germany/Kawasaki/Japan, June 29, 2012
Truck Business in Japan
Daimler Strengthens its Truck Business in Japan:
Fuso and Nissan Cooperate on Light-Duty Trucks
The Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) and the Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. reach a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on the mutual supply of light-duty trucks in Japan
The agreement involves the Fuso Canter light-duty truck
(5 tonnes GVW) and the Nissan Atlas F24 (below 5 tonnes GVW)
Fuso President Albert Kirchmann: “Today’s agreement employs synergies created within the framework of the strategic partnership between Daimler AG and Renault-Nissan”.
Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) will supply the light-duty truck Fuso Canter (5 tonnes GVW) to Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. in future.
Fuso is expanding its business with light-duty trucks in its core market Japan. Daimler’s Japanese commercial vehicles subsidiary and the Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. reached a MoU on the mutual supply of light-duty trucks. Basis for this agreement is the strategic partnership between Daimler AG and the Renault-Nissan Alliance.
The agreement seeks to use both manufacturers’ expertise to further strengthen business with light-duty trucks in Japan. Through economies of scale, the mutual supply of vehicles will help lower development and manufacturing costs. Moreover, efficiency and productivity will be enhanced significantly on both sides.
The arrangement provides for the Fuso Canter light-duty truck (5 tonnes GVW) to be supplied to Nissan. In return, Nissan will make the Atlas F24 light-duty truck (below 5 tonnes GVW) available to Fuso, which will consequently expand the Fuso product range in the future. Timing and scope of the mutual supply will be specified in a detailed agreement at a later time.
Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC), based in Kawasaki, Japan, is one of Asia's leading commercial vehicle manufacturers. Daimler AG owns 89.29% of MFTBC shares. The remaining 10.71% of shares are held by various Mitsubishi group companies. In 2011 Daimler Trucks sold about 147,700 vehicles under the Fuso brand in all – including light-duty, medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks, and busses.