- Fully equipped with air conditioning, radio and 7G-TRONIC
Being spontaneous, free and without ties. Packing one’s bags on the spur of the moment, for example, setting off into the great outdoors with friends and enjoying the drive there together – this is made possible by an innovative vehicle concept from Mercedes-Benz: the R-Class, the Grand Sports Tourer.
With its great versatility, the new model series mirrors an attitude toward life that the young and the young-at-heart are keen to express through the medium of the vehicle they drive. The R-Class combines the dynamism of a sporty saloon, the spaciousness and comfort of an MPV, the versatility of an estate and the poise and assurance of an off-roader.
The revolutionary Sports Tourer concept is the end product of customer interviews held all over the world. Mercedes-Benz has realised this innovative concept in the form of two model series: the B-Class, the Compact Sports Tourer, and the R-Class, which is available in two body variants as the Grand Sports Tourer:
- For the USA, Europe and other markets Mercedes-Benz has developed a body with a wheelbase of 3215 millimetres. This has a length of 5157 millimetres, a width of 1922 millimetres and a height of 1661 millimetres.
The R-Class with a wheelbase of 2980 millimetres is intended for Europe and other regions. The body length is 4922, the width 1922 and the height 1659 millimetres.
The three terms which describe the new Mercedes-Benz model leave no doubt as to where its main strengths lie:
- Grand refers to its size, space and practicality: both versions of the R-Class offer considerably more room than many saloon models in the luxury segment. This translates into a completely new motoring sensation for passengers: an untrammelled experience of "space travel" on wheels.
Sports symbolises dynamism, high performance potential and a thrilling motoring experience: the two potent six-cylinder engines and the V8 power unit that are available for the R-Class span a power spectrum from 165 kW/ 224 hp up to 225 kW/306 hp. A seven-speed automatic transmission, permanent all-wheel drive, the 4ETS Electronic Traction System and ESP® all make up part of the standard package.
Tourer is a reference to this innovative new car's outstanding credentials as a luxurious touring car: the new suspension system with standard-fitted air suspension at the rear, comfortable individual seats and automatic climate control gives it everything it needs for indulging its occupants with silky smooth comfort on long journeys.
Standard specification list brims with high-tech for added safety and comfort
Drive and enjoy - this high billing is not just reflected by the pioneering concept of the new Mercedes-Benz R-Class but also by its extensive list of standard equipment, as summarised below*:´
- 235/65 R 17 wide-base tyres
- 4ETS traction system
- 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission
- Acceleration skid control
- Aerial diversity
- Airbags for driver and front passenger, adaptive
- All-wheel drive, permanent
- Aluminium trim
- Ambient lighting in exterior mirrors
- Anti-lock braking system
- Armrest between front seats with two-section stowage compartment underneath
- ASSYST PLUS service interval display
- Audio 20 CD radio with eight speakers
- Belt force limiters for all seats
- Belt tensioners for all seats
- Brake Assist
- Central display in instrument cluster
- Central locking with remote control
- Child seat recognition in front passenger seat
- Chrome tailpipes
- Courtesy lights in the doors
- Cruise control with SPEEDTRONIC
- Cup holders, 2 for each seat row
- Diesel particulate filter (in R 320 CDI)
- DIRECT SELECT gearshift
- ESP® with tyre pressure loss warning function
- Executive seats in rear, including armrests
- Four-link, air-sprung rear axle
- Front seats with partial power adjustment
- Headlamp Assist
- Heated and electrically adjustable exterior mirrors
- Heated windscreen washer nozzles
- ISOFIX child seat attachment points
- Light-alloy wheels
- Multifunction steering wheel, leather-trimmed
- Outside temperature display
- Power windows front and rear
- Pre-installation for mobile phone, including roof aerial
- Projection-beam headlamps
- Rain sensor for windscreen wipers
- Rear windscreen wiper
- Rev counter
- Seats upholstered in combined fab-ric/ARTICO man-made leather
- Sidebags in front
- Speed-sensitive power steering
- Steering column adjustable for height and reach
- THERMATIC automatic climate control
- Tinted windows
- TIREFIT tyre repair kit
The R 500 V8 top-of-the-range model adds the following extra equipment items as standard*:
- 18-inch light-alloy wheels
- 255/55 R 18 wide-base tyres
- Automatically dimming exterior and rear-view mirrors
- Bird's eye poplar-wood trim
- Chrome package
- Front seats electrically adjustable
- Heated front seats
- TWIN Leather seat upholstery
- Velour floor mats for all seat rows
Plus, customers can also choose from a broad array of the very latest innovations from Mercedes for enhancing safety, comfort and handling – from AMG bodystyling through COMAND APS to sports seats upholstered in leather/Alcantara.
Equipment packages offer even greater scope for individuality
Further outstanding technical and appointments features are available by opting for one of the attractive equipment packages which allow Mercedes customers to inject their Grand Sports Tourer with even more individuality:
- The AIRMATIC package consists of AIRMATIC air suspension combined with the ADS Adaptive Damping System.
The styling package includes the leather upholstery, electrically adjustable front seats, burr walnut wood trim, and a chrome package with door handles and side rub strips in the vehicle colour with chrome inserts, a silver/chrome-trimmed radiator grille and waistline trim strips. It also includes the interior lighting package, which adds features such as illuminated door handle recesses, illuminated air outlet thumbwheels, illuminated cup holders in the front and in the optional rear centre console, an illuminated stowage compartment in the transmission tunnel covering, plus reading lamps for the rearmost row of seats. An ambient /warning light is also integrated into the tailgate.
The sports package combines, among other things, 19" light-alloy wheels, size 255/50 R 19 tyres, chrome/silver radiator trim and blue-tinted glass all-round. Inside, the sports package comprises a specially designed instrument cluster, stainless steel sports pedals with rubber studs and electrically adjustable sports seats upholstered in Alcantara/ARTICO man-made leather. The decorative trim is in aluminium.