The history of the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
Stuttgart
Jan 10, 2012
Motor sports as initial fuse: the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL racing sports car, W 194 series (1952-1953)
  • The first racing car from Mercedes-Benz after the Second World War
  • Combination of series-production technology and innovative lightweight build
  • Racing as a coupé and as a roadster
  • 1953 racing sports car prototype shows elements of the production sports car
Mercedes-Benz 300 SL was the designation of the competition race car from Mercedes-Benz with which the brand returned to international motor sports in 1952 for the first time after the Second World War. And although this car was not sold to the public, it did light the fuse for the development of the later SL-Class from Mercedes-Benz. The development of the 300 SL began in 1950, when Mercedes-Benz began to think about a return to racing. The attempt to reactivate the 1939 W 154 Grand Prix race car, however, met with failure in Argentina in 1951. So engineers pressed forward the development of the new racing car, some of the components of which came from the Mercedes-Benz 300.
In June 1951, the Board decided to resume participation in racing events from 1952 on, and gave the final orders for the construction of the 300 SL. The abbreviation was explained as “Super-Light”. Its M 194 engine was derived from the 300 type unit, the M 186, with an inclined separation plane between cylinder-head and engine block, overhead camshaft, large inlet valves, combustion chamber in engine block and pistons, a displacement of 3 litres and an output of 115 bhp (85 kW). For its use in the racing car the engineers increased the engine’s output to around 170 bhp (125 kW). The sports engine differed from the one installed in the saloon and coupé not only in its output, but also in its installation position, slanted 50 degrees to the left, and in having a dry-sump lubrication system, which due to the omission of the oil sump, enabled a lower installation height.
Weight savings were hardly possible with the engine and the transmission of the W 194 that was in the process of being created. And this was also true of the heavy steel axles which had also been taken from the 300 model. That left only the frame and the exterior skin for any possible weight-savings. Another possibility for enhancing competitiveness was to create a body as aerodynamic as possible. Rudolf Uhlenhaut, at that time Head of passenger car research at Daimler-Benz, took up his idea of a lightweight tubular frame again, an idea he had entertained some years before. The designers then carried the concept forward to its logical conclusion, creating a lightweight, extremely torsionally rigid frame consisting of very thin tubes joined together to form triangles, whose tubular elements were only subjected to tensional and compressive forces. The entire frame weighed just 50 kilograms and became the backbone of the W 194, as well as the basis for the production version of the 300 SL (W 198 I) and for the successful 1954/55 racing and motor sports car.
The coachbuilders in Untertürkheim and Sindelfingen spared no effort with the vehicle aluminium body. Thanks to the canted position of the engine and the aerodynamic profile they strove to create, the car was very low, free of trim right down to the underbody, with an elegant low bonnet line, intuitively round-shaped, with recessed headlamps and its wheels entirely covered by the bodywork. The classic Mercedes-Benz radiator shape was replaced by a flat racing car front end analogous to that of pre-war cars. The Mercedes star dominated the radiator grille prominently. The coupé greenhouse was made as narrow as possible, with a strongly raked windscreen, curving towards the A-pillars. The large rear window flowed over into the aerodynamic rear end. The result was a relatively small frontal area: 1.8 square metres. A drag coefficient was measured on an 1-in-5 scale model and found to be cd = 0.25, and that, even without taking into account the realistic airflow through the engine compartment.
The doors are a chapter all of their own: in order to lend a space frame the desired high rigidity, it has to be as wide as possible in the passenger cell sector. This requirement led to the spectacular and later so famous gullwing doors. In the first cars, the door opening began at the waistline. The doors, deeply incut into the roof, opened upwards, creating an image reminiscent of outspread wings, for which reason the car was dubbed “gullwing” by the North Americans and “papillon” (butterfly) by the French. Driver and passenger boarded the car from above.
In order to facilitate access over the high side sill, the bodywork designers had even originally intended to have an access step in the lower part of the vehicle body flank; however, this feature was never realised. By the way, the FIA regulations of the time did not specify the type and direction of opening doors. In spite of this, the stewards got a bit hot under the collar when the vehicle was presented to them for scrutineering before the Mille Miglia in May 1952. To forestall any future protests, after the race in Italy the doors were extended down into the car’s sides, thereby assuming their final shape.
The interior was fully padded and lined, radiating a level of comfort unusual for racing cars. Speedometer and rev counter were accomodated under a common hood,below that and in somewhat smaller format were the gauges for water temperature, fuel pressure, oil temperature and oil pressure. Even a stopwatch was installed. The bucket-type seats with high side sections were covered with tartan-style woolen fabric; the four-spoke steering wheel was removable to facilitate climbing in.
The archetype of the 300 SL, chassis number W 194 010 00001/52, completed its first test drives in November 1951, on the Solitude racetrack just outside Stuttgart, on the Nürburgring and on the Hockenheimring. On March 12, 1952, the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL racing sports coupé, unusually smooth and, at a height of just 1,225 millimeters, unusually low, was presented to the excited and stunned press on the motorway between Stuttgart and Heilbronn.
A total of ten W 194 series cars were built for the 1952 season. After the Le Mans race, it was planned to enter the SL in a sports car race on the Nürburgring. To shed as much weight from the competing cars, the engineers cut the roofs off three coupés without further ado. A fourth car had been set up as a roadster right from the start. To permit easy access, the section of the door extending into the side of the car was retained, and a small windscreen was mounted to deflect air and flying insects. This resulted in a weight advantage of 100 kilograms over the coupé.
The year 1952 was an extremely successful one for Mercedes-Benz racing cars: second and fourth places in the Mille Miglia; triple victory in the sports car race in Bern; double victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans; quadruple victory in the sports car race on the Nürburgring. The last big adventure of the season was participation in the third Carrera Panamericana Mexico, a race over five days and eight stages, 3,100 kilometres through Mexico. Mercedes-Benz accepted the challenge and entered two coupés and two roadsters in this rally, all powered by engines with an output meanwhile boosted to 180 bhp (132 kW). Karl Kling with Hans Klenk and Hermann Lang with Erwin Grupp reaped a legendary double victory for Mercedes-Benz in November 1952 in this contest.
The 300 SL was reengineered for the 1953 season. Its bodywork was now made from magnesium sheet, even lighter than aluminium. In the wind tunnel it gained – especially in its front section – not only a new face, but also a better airflow through the engine compartment thanks to an optimised shape. The engine output rose, too, among other things thanks to petrol direct injection, which boosted output of the six-cylinder unit to 215 bhp (158 kW). The rear axle was further developed to a low-pivot single-joint swing axle, while the transmission was flanged on the rear axle following the transaxle principle, which made for a more balanced weight distribution. The wheelbase was shortened by 100 millimetres. The vehicle stood firmly on 16-inch wheels, and the use of disc brakes was considered.
This further-developed 300 SL with the company-internal designation W 194 (jocularly called “carpenter’s plane” on account of its front end), did not actually get to race. However, its bodywork with its angular radiator, compact dimensions and ventilation fins as well as its engine, prefigured in 1953 the W 198 I series 300 SL production sports car that was unveiled the following year.
Technical highlights of the Mercedes-Benz 300 SL (W 194)
300 SL racing sports car (1952):
  • Lightweight tubular space frame
  • Coupés designed with roof-hinged Gullwing doors
300 SL, W 194/11 racing sports car prototype (1953)
  • Six-cylinder in-line M 198 engine with petrol direct injection
  • Vehicle body made from magnesium sheets
Production figures for MB 300 SL (W 194) Roadster, Coupé, racing sports car prototype
Models
Internal designation
Production period: pre-production to end
Number of units
300 SL
300 SL racing sports prototype
W 194
W 194/11
1952
1953
10
1
Your Media Contact
René
Olma
Communication Mercedes-Benz Classic
Fax: +49 711 305 215 2844
Mobile:+49 176 309 212 88
Download complete text
Actions
ALL press kit contents
© 2014 Daimler AG. All rights reserved. Provider | Legal Notices and Terms | CookiesPrivacy Statement, | Terms of Use