Dr. Wilhelm Haspel came to Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft in January 1924 as head of the costing department. Beginning in 1925, he handled special assignments in the areas of accounting, business management and statistics. He also wrote a dissertation on “expense recording and cost accounting in a factory of the vehicle industry” to obtain a doctorate.
In 1927, Haspel became plant manager in Sindelfingen and concentrated on the reorganisation of the bodywork facility. A deputy member of the Board of Management under Wilhelm Kissel since 1936, Wilhelm Haspel was appointed full member of the Board of Management at the end of 1941. Although he was married to a Jewish woman, the company retained him, contrary to what the Nazi regime had in mind, and thanks to his competence, which was beyond doubt, Haspel became Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler-Benz AG on 19 August 1942. At the end of October 1945, he was dismissed on the instructions of the American occupying authorities, but was rehabilitated in mid-1947, and from 1 January 1948 was again able to exercise his function as Chairman of the Board of Management again without any restrictions. He played a decisive role in preserving and expanding the commercial vehicle division, was responsible for the relocation of passenger car production to Sindelfingen, and strengthened the export orientation of Daimler-Benz AG. In addition, he was a resolute advocate of a return to motor sports.