Benz, too, advertised with a new, catchy signet at the start of the 20th century:
In 1903, the lettering "Original BENZ" surrounded by a black ring gear was used as a trademark. The heavy technical overtones of the logo reflected expertise in the construction of engines and vehicles.
In 1909, the Mannheim-based company changed this trademark: the name Benz remained as a central element of the logo, but this time it was surrounded by a laurel wreath.
This classic decoration awarded to winners of sporting competitions reflected the successes achieved by Benz & Cie. in car races during this period. Benz cars won the "Herkomer Konkurrenz" rally in 1907 and the 1st "Prinz-Heinrich-Fahrt" (Prince Heinrich Tour) as well as the race from St. Petersburg to Moscow in 1908 among other competitions. In addition to this, Benz achieved second and third places at the French Grand Prix of 1908 and broke three world records at the Daytona Beach meeting in 1909.
From 1909, this outstanding record of achievement was depicted in a confidently decorated trademark whose typographic content had now been reduced to four dynamically written letters: "Benz". The name of the Mannheim-based brand was synonymous with originality in 1909, even without an express reference in the trademark.