As previously announced, pursuant to an administrative order by the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) Daimler will conduct a mandatory recall for Mercedes-Benz vehicles with diesel engines in Europe. Approximately 670,000 vehicles are part of the recall in Europe. Thereof about 280,000 are located in Germany.
On this webpage, you will find further information on this topic. Additional details concerning the implementation of the recall will be provided shortly.
The majority of vehicles were already part of the voluntary service action announced in summer 2017 for more than 3 million Diesel vehicles in Europe, which is continuing unchanged.
As already known, the recall ordered by KBA in 2018 applies solely to vehicles with the emission standard Euro 6b. The recall will mainly affect the following models: Vito 1.6-liter diesel (OM 622), C-Class 1.6-liter diesel (OM 626), ML/GLE/GL/GLS 3.0-liter diesel (OM 642), V-Class 2.2-liter diesel (OM 651) and GLC 2.2-liter diesel (OM 651). Some other individual models are also affected by the recall. Click here for an overview:
Please note: With many models, only a certain production period is affected by the recall. From the model and engine name alone it is therefore not possible to reliably tell if a vehicle is part of the recall.
If a vehicle is affected we will inform our customers as soon as the relevant software updates are available and it is possible to install them in our dealerships.
- A software update for the engine management of your vehicle will be carried out. The update will take about an hour.
- The work required to improve the emissions will of course be carried out free of charge for the customers.
- No action is required from your part for the time being.
- We will inform you in writing if your vehicle should be part of the recall and the relevant software updates are available.
- In our letter we will ask you to make an appointment with a Mercedes workshop. Please be aware that we are still working on the development of the software updates. Thus, please do not make an appointment until we have contacted you.
- Daimler will update the software in question as soon as possible after receiving the approval of the KBA.
- We will notify our customers as soon as the software updates are available.
- According to the KBA’s interpretation of the law, certain specific calibrations of functionalities in the vehicles’ engine management must be modified.
- Daimler files an objection against the administrative order by the KBA, and will have the open legal issues clarified in court if necessary.
- With cars, the recall solely affects vehicle versions with the Euro 6b standard, the production of which was discontinued by the end of May 2018 at the latest – and in many cases significantly earlier.
- Also with vans, solely vehicles with the Euro 6b standard are affected, the production of which has also ended in most cases.
- With many models, only a certain production period is affected by the recall. From the model and engine name alone it is therefore not possible to reliably tell if a vehicle is part of the recall. We will notify our customers who are affected as soon as the updates are available.
- Information about the recall of specific variants of the model GLK 220 CDI 4MATIC with Euro 5 emission standard ordered in June 2019 can be found here.
- Our customers will be informed if the vehicle is part of the obligatory recall or part of the voluntary service action.
- Vehicles that are part of the recall will, of course, no longer be part of the voluntary service action.
- We offer our customers a wide variety of vehicle versions within each model series. They differ for example in terms of their engine power, type of transmission and two- or four-wheel drive.
- We are developing tailored software updates for all of these versions. Only for the service actions we announced in 2017, for example, we are developing a total of several hundred versions.
- As the changes can affect a large number of factors, we are proceeding with the necessary care. The testing and approval of the software updates also takes some time of course.
- Our customers will be notified in writing as soon as the software updates are available and it is possible to install them in our dealerships.
- In addition, we will soon provide further details on the implementation of the recall.
As at August 2020